- The Pulse – this is a must-read for anyone in business development in GovCon. Their latest edition covers over 114 Opportunities. They have a compiled list of industry days, outreach events and things you need to know about. Their snarky is our brand of snarky and we love them for it. Better yet, it’s Free. Seriously. Join their distro list here.
- PTACs – If you are just starting off in the industry, our best advice is to not waste time or money on service providers but use your local PTAC and SBA office. They can help you register on SAMS, work on your first capabilities statement, provide insights on getting your business off the ground. Many of their classes are taught by experts and are low-cost. We particularly heart Anna Urman at the Virginia PTAP. Anna knows her stuff and practically everyone in the industry.
- Insight from the Experts – The GovCon industry has many, many events and it’s sometimes hard to wade through them. We find that when industry guru Kevin Plexico speaks, we listen. His data is always on point, his research is sound and is a great wide view of the federal landscape. We also love Bloomberg events. They bring in speakers with a wide variety of expertise and experience. Most of the events are free and great for sniffing out trends.
- myFedBeacon – It's all the power of FBO in your pocket. This app allows you to stay on track of your opportunities, your competitors and your frenemies. We love the approach of “spend 10 mins a day to keep the stale pipeline away.”
- NVSBC Washington Chapter (National Veteran Small Business Coalition) – If you are an SDVOSB or looking to team with one, you have got to come to the best networking event around with the NVSBC. The boot camps are informative; the networking is real and the view is amazing.
- govmates – Yes, we’re biased, but you would be too! govmates is a free online teaming platform (think match.com for GovCon). Small contractors enter in their profile (should take less than 10 mins). Large contractors or those priming and looking for teammates ask us for specific criteria and we prepare a report with those that match. We email introductions and then it’s up to you! govmates has also launched its new conference offering for matchmaking. Know of any organization that wants to take its matchmaking offering to a new level? Email us to help!
As we wind down February, we wanted to take a quick moment to show some love to a few folks in the GovCon industry. We think these resources are valuable for growing GovCons. If you think we might be forgetting anyone go ahead and share the love!
Alongside the thought of a two-year budget passed, we giddily start thinking about the possibilities here in the GovCon world. What if we actually received the full year’s funding? What if our customer was able to award that contract that’s been held up? What about a new start here or there? It’s almost like Christmas thinking of the potential new work that could be accomplished in the upcoming years.
Keeping that in mind, what better day than Valentine’s to talk about finding the right teammate/suitor to work with on upcoming bids? What does real GovCon love look like? It includes fair workshare, without a constant battle back and forth or being worried that your teammate will steal positions. It looks like an honest dialogue about capabilities, customer relationships, and capture strategies. It includes a romantic wrap rate that you both can live with and hire successfully under (never mind having a profit!). A true partner in GovCon means never having to say you’re sorry for communicating with the customer…as you have open discussions. It means you ask your partner to join you on RFPs that help build both of your businesses, without worrying about risking relationships. You can have other relationships with other GovCons that have different skill sets or past performance, but you know that your favorite is always a go-to in bidding strategy.
As your relationships and companies mature, you may consider forming a JV to stretch those revenue dollars just a little more. Or you could be in a Mentor-Protégé program, but not one that is an afterthought or a “check in the box.” You want to be top of your partner’s mind so that they are helping you grow your business…kinda the whole intent of the program, right?
Do you have a GovCon love? BOOST has a few! (We're the only back-office shop with a teaming platform.) If not or if you need someone new in your life, consider govmates. We’re a FREE online teaming platform that provides teaming opportunities. We are matchmakers who believe in taking a formulaic and methodical approach in teaming – based on past performance and capabilities. We do the intros, you determine if it’s love at first sight.
If you have any teaming needs (as a prime), shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and I’ll be happy to help. If you haven’t already registered your company, do so at www.govmates.com
Happy Valentines Day GovCon world. Make the next two years count.