- This is the year I’m going to break $XM in revenue!
- This is the year we’re going to follow a formal BD process. No more bluebird bids!
- This is the year we’re going after (huge IDIQ). We’ll have our team solidified 30 days before the bid.
- This is the year we’re going to invest in our employees. We’ll do brown bag sessions and offer training courses.
- This is the year we’re going to have and follow a strategic plan. We’ll review it quarterly and assess our progress.
So let’s focus on one goal. One little goal.
Here it is – one goal every business owner should make (and actually do) is to THINK. This sounds so simple. I know. But when was the last time you actually made time in your schedule to think about your company and its future? When did you last turn off your phone/email/life and spend some time with your thoughts and plans? Do you remember why you got into your field? What your end game is? Are you moving toward your goals?
As owner/CEO it’s on you to have a direction and focus toward which your company is moving. How can you provide leadership and oversight if you don’t know yourself?
Imagine what a few hours a week or even a couple days a month would do for your company if you took a step back and actually spent time thinking. You’d know where you were on your goals. You’d have time to think about the future, competitive landscape, trends, growth potential. You would also feel like you had a better grasp on the company’s direction. With a roadmap in front of you, you can spend the other time leading and executing effectively. Who knows, you may even finally get to those training sessions.
Business owners spend too much time focusing on portions of their to-do lists that can be delegated to others. Every CEO wants to be an expert on all things, but let’s face it, sometimes we need a bit of guidance. Luckily some of us seek to assist leaders in creating plans and moving forward to reach their goals. In fact, if you have questions, I’m happy to offer support.
Need help building your corporate strategy in the federal GovCon space? Feel free to shoot me an email at email@example.com